Saturday, February 12

I Don't Hate GANDHI Part-2

 




History without facts is just like superman without underwear over his pant. (Don’t praise me for these creative lines I have copied these). Some people may think that the views in my last article are hypothetical and has no relation with actual history. So to prove that I am not suffering from hallucination sixth stage let me give you some facts.
To support my point that violence alone was never sufficient enough for freedom, I will like to cite one of most honorable and great violent freedom fighter SAHEED BHAGAT SINGH. He decided to arrest himself after assembly bomb blast just because he knew that the need of time was to awake the common Indian. In his last testament written on Feb 2, 1931 advised the youth.

Few words: Apparently I have acted like a terrorist. But I am not a terrorist....Let me announce with all the strength at my command, that I am not a terrorist and I never was, except perhaps in the beginning of my revolutionary career. And I am convinced that we cannot gain anything through these methods

Bhagat Singh said that only mass based movements can achieve freedom. He declared: the real revolutionary armies are in the villages and factories.
 
Before wasting your precious time let me try to answer one most sought question by Indians.
Did Gandhi do his best to save Bhagat Singh?

Viceroy Lord Irwin: "As I listened to Mr. Gandhi putting the case for commutation before me, I reflected first on what significance it surely was that the apostle of non-violence should so earnestly be pleading the cause of the devotees of a creed so fundamentally opposed to his own, but I should regard it as wholly wrong to allow my judgment to be influenced by purely political considerations. I could not imagine a case in which under the law, penalty had been more directly deserved.”
First thing is GANDHI is neither the viceroy nor an official power gaining position in British government, he is also fighting for freedom. So in my views a person in his position could only request to commutate the decision and Gandhi tried so. But to be very frank I also consider that the attempt was not done with all force so this could be a weak point but does it means that Gandhi murdered Bhagat singh, if yes then carry on with your abuses and if no then consider it as only an error done by a political person who also regretted it. But Does this makes him the greatest villain of the century?
Gandhi's final attempt on the day of execution
Letter to Viceroy,March 23,1931

1 DARYAGANJ, DELHI,
March 23, 1931
DEAR FRIEND,
It seems cruel to inflict this letter on you, but the interest of peace demands a final appeal. Though you were frank enough to tell me that there was little hope of your commuting the sentence of death on Bhagat Singh and two others, you said you would consider my submission of Saturday. Dr. Sapru met me yesterday and said that you were troubled over the matter and taxing your brain as to the proper course to adopt. If there is any room left for reconsideration, I invite you attention to the following.

Popular opinion rightly or wrongly demands commutation. When there is no principle at stake, it is often a duty to respect it. In the present case the chances are that,if commutation is granted,internal peace is most likely to be promoted.In the event of execution, peace is undoubtedly in danger.

Seeing that I am able to inform you that the revolutionary party has assured me that,in the event of these lives being spared,that party will stay its hands, suspension of sentence pending cessation of revolutionary murders becomes in my opinion a peremptory duty.

Political murders have been condoned before now.It is worth while saving these lives,if thereby many other innocent lives are likely to be saved and maybe even revolutionary crime lmost stamped out.Since you seem to value my influence such as it is in favour of peace,do not please unnecessarily make my position,difficult as it is,almost too difficult for future work.

Execution is an irretrievable act.If you think there is the slightest chance of error of judgment,I would urge you to suspend for further review an act that is beyond recall.

If my presence is necessary,I can come. Though I may not speak I may hear and write what I want to say.

“Charity never faileth.”
I am,
Your sincere friend,


From a Photostat: C.W. 9343,Courtesy: India Office Library. Source: Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi http://www.gandhiserve.org/cwmg/cwmg.html

P.S- this is an endless discussion and I am leaving the discussion almost in mid, but sorry friends not getting time these days to research and write more about GANDHI. You can guess my busy schedule by seeing the time gap between first and second post. Hope I will write something more in this series in future. Felling bad because leaving the topic in mid but have no other option. :(

1 comment:

Mohini Puranik said...

Hi Priyadarshi! Sorry for the late again. You took my comment in different view so i am very sad for that. First thanks a lot for the info about Bhagat Singh in first para. Hallucination and all that i am speechless. The debates and discussions can be done without affecting our relations. About the second part actually I never thought that Mr. M. K. Gandhi could save Shaheed Bhagat Singh or not. So my ques. about Gandhi was not based on that. And even I never understood how can we expect that he will save them. But I thank you for all this, coz this reminded me Nathuramji's Drama. I just watched it for the whole nyt. I can't tell you, what Patriotic inspiration it has! About your first article, you made me think that may be he united people. But this thought brought hatred about him from inside, coz people trusted that he won't let partition happen.Anyway thanks a lot for Shaheed Bhagat Singh's Info. About terrorist the objection was from a newspaper when this word was used in MPSC.

Copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected